Saturday, May 31, 2008

National Science Olympiad and meeting Dr. Ben Carson

I was asked to help out at the Science Olympiad National Tournament this past weekend at GWU in Washington, DC. I pleased to be asked and even more thrilled when I found out that the keynote speaker at the opening ceremony on Friday night, was Dr. Ben Carson.
Dr. Carson is my rockstar. When I read about Dr. Carson's successful seperation surgery of twins conjoined at the head in 1987, I was hooked. Later I read his autobiography "Gifted Hands." I've seen numerous programs about Dr. Carson. I was so excited to be able to hear him speak live. Little did I know that I would actually have the opportunity to meet Dr. Carson at the Science Olympiad director's reception just before the opening ceremony! He is a very pleasant man, humble and soft spoken. It was for me a dream come true! His keynote address was amazing, the best speech I have ever seen. Ever.

The attached is an excerpt from one of his talks on C-Span.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a member of my school's Science Olympiad team this year, I also had the opportunity to hear Dr. Carson speak. Although my team and I were exhausted by the time we got to the opening ceremony at the end of the day, hearing Dr. Ben Carson speak truly was inspirational. Every one of my friends on the team raved about how great his speech was on the bus back to the hotel. My favorite part of the speech was when he recited the pathway that information travels through in your brain... Truly incredible!!!