Wednesday, January 06, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

I rang in the New Year in Dublin Ireland. At 2 PM on New Year's Day, I marched with my sousaphone in the very first Dublin New Year's Day Parade and my very last parade. I have officially retired as a sousaphone player. I have come to realize that my body is just too old to handle carrying 45 lbs of metal on my shoulders and it's just not as fun as it used to be. I ended up tired and sore. I will continue to remain a member of the UDMB Alumni Band in some capacity. I may play another instrument, I may not. I may just simply "hang out". We'll have to see.

I'm not sure in this day and age how I really feel about New Year's Resolutions. I try to do the best I can every year, all year. I don't make classic resolutions "lose weight", "exercise", "eat healthier" etc., because I'm always trying to do that anyway. Last year I lost almost 90 pounds. It wasn't a New Year's Resolution, but I did it. I also had a patent granted and won the Presidential Citation... not resolutions either, but still major accomplishments for 2009. Something to be very proud of... but what's next? I'm always looking ahead, driven forward.

So I think my resolution for 2010 will be the same as it was for 2009. Do the best I can with what God gives me this year. Keep moving forward in a positive direction. Try to use my gifts and talents to help others when and where I can. Have a little fun along the way. The rest will work itself out.

No comments: